VisioSphere

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Miyazaki's Manga




Given the fact I previously wrote about Miyazaki , the famous manga director, in the post about the anime/manga festival, I considered necessary to insert here short descriptions of my favorite Miyazaki mangas.

The Howl's Moving Castle presents a love story between an 18-year-old girl cursed by a witch into an old woman's body, and the notorious wizard Howl in his a flying castle. The characters have magical powers and obviously they are fighting in the eternal 2 sides: for the good and evil. Even though the plot seems somewhat childish, this manga, as awell as all Miyazaki's creations, presents symbols of modern society.

Pricess Mononoke is a symbolic battle between man and nature. The Mankind evolved by taming the nature which led to its eradication. The plot is described as the fight between the mighty clans of animals and the humans.

Spirited Away is, in my opinion, the metaphore of modern society presented to its peak in the consumption era. The inhabitants of such a society appear as never having enough consume of products and services. The story presents a different world, in which each citizen needs to work hard for satisfying the master. Humans that arrive, by chance in this world, have to pay for being greedy and the only chance is the young girl whose character has not been compromised yet by consumerism.




4 Comments:

  • Wow, wife, you've really been working here! :)

    Loved Princess Mononoke! I've seen it in one of those nights when from 3 to 5 there was nothing else to do...

    By Blogger Alina, at 2:29 PM  

  • Thanks:) This was a great topic to post about :)

    By Blogger Cristina Banu, at 3:22 PM  

  • You promised me some CDs with cartoons, remember? We're gonna have to meet again soon! :P

    Andreea

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:48 PM  

  • Andreea, I forgot to give you the CDs last weekend. We'll definitely meet this weekend and I'll take them with me. You can also call or send me an sms to remind me :D

    By Blogger Cristina Banu, at 2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home