VisioSphere

Saturday, December 23, 2006

The most important things

I dedicate this post to my grandfather along with my wishes for his recovery.

First of all, I apologize for the sad post, but this theme was necessary for me.
The idea for it came into my mind when I realized that lately I didn't pay attention to the important things in my life. Such as family. It should be more important than any job, masters degree, friends. Then I started thinking that maybe I'm not the only one regretting not spending time to visit the relatives (grandparents in my case) eventhough they live in the same city, for example. Then when you hear one of your grandparents gets sick of an utter disease, you start feeling guilty you didn't spend more time with him, because who knows when you might get another chance. Also when you have known a person your entire life as being strong, athletic, healthy, funny and always cheerful and then all of a sudden he looks old, with a hunchback, not able to walk so well, breath or talk at all. You are shocked and besides feeling pity for him and incapable of refraining from crying, you start thinking that someday it will be your turn. And if you don't take care of your life, you may never get a second chance.

Our lives evolve around career, money, social status, properties, valuables and once in a while family and friends. Then, by the time we're 35-40 years old we realize we wasted our life working and we don't know what else to do. When we reach 60-70 years old, we need treatments, doctors and hospitals with other sick fellows like us to stay alive. Few of us, the lucky ones, will be visited by relatives who enrich our miserable lives with joy and feeling that we are loved and we will be remembered once we turn into dust.

The reason why this post is called " The most important things" is that I'd like to read your opinions about your life priorities. What do you consider the most important things to be in your life?




Permalink

14 Comments:

  • You know, I just had the same feeling when my Grandfather passed away this year :(

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:38 PM  

  • Thanks for your comment, Tarek. I'm sorry for your loss :( I hope my post didn't bring to life painful memories.

    By Blogger Cristina Banu, at 10:58 PM  

  • Well, Cris, I think we need a little bit of everything. The family we were born into, the new family some of us are lucky enough to create, our work, our time on our own, our dreams and passions, our hobbies...The trick of a full life, I think, is to find enough time for everything that's important. You cannot say my family is all I have, all that matters. Parents and older relatives eventually die. Then it's time for friends to comfort you. Or for your partner and children. And it's time for your work to keep your mind busy. I think every aspect of life has its purpose, that is why we should not ignore any of it.

    But when it comes to family, yes, special efforts are needed because our time together is always so limited.

    By Blogger Alina, at 3:17 PM  

  • Cristina, you and your family have my prayers for your grandfather's recovery. Please keep us posted on how he is doing. We care.

    Thank you for such a thoughtful post. Clearly, it is written from the heart. The photos are simply charming, and they made me smile.

    Sending you and yours hugs and wishes for a Christmas filled with peace and much warmth.

    By Blogger Naomi, at 8:17 AM  

  • Ali, thanks for your comment. I think we can all agree that we need a bit of everything in our lives, however each and one of us has to prioritize the activities. My question referred exactly to this.

    By Blogger Cristina Banu, at 8:13 PM  

  • Naomi, thank you for your kind words. You have no idea how much they mean to me, especially now. I hope you had a lovely Christmas, surround with peace and love withing your family.

    By Blogger Cristina Banu, at 8:17 PM  

  • Friends come and go. So do jobs and money. So, call me old fashioned, I don't mind, but for me the most important thing is family. Up to a point the one I coming from, and (hopefully) from then on the one I'll be founding.

    (Very interesting and beautiful blog you've got here. Hope you won't mind me coming here, sticking around for a while. Blame Alina, she recommended it:) )

    By Blogger Ryan, at 11:15 PM  

  • Well, Chris, you only think you need prioritizing when one aspect is ignored...Really now, if you manage to find a perfect mix of everything, putting together all the bits you need to have no regrets, then you are way past prioritizing :)

    There are people closer to you than your blood relatives at times...I should know. Still, I have the same issue, making more time for people who will not be there much longer. But that mostly comes from time I waste doing nothing of importance, not from limiting time spent with other people.

    By Blogger Alina, at 11:42 PM  

  • Ryan, I agree that the most important thing is family and I don't think this point of view is old fashioned.
    Thanks for your kind remarks about my blog and I would be honored if you would visit it in the future:)
    Happy New Year!!

    By Blogger Cristina Banu, at 4:26 PM  

  • Cristina, just stopping by to say HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:55 PM  

  • I hope 2007 is your best year ever. I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:01 PM  

  • I hope 2007 is your best year ever. I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:03 PM  

  • Thanks for your kind wish, Deb. Very nice poem by the way from your post. May you also have the best year possible with all the things described in the poem and beyond.

    By Blogger Cristina Banu, at 11:01 PM  

  • Naomi, thank you for dropping by :) I also wish you a Happy New Year to you and your family. May it be the first in a long series of extraordinary years.

    By Blogger Cristina Banu, at 11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home